Sunday, October 14, 2007

Viewing VCD's with Ubuntu

Couple of days bak..I borrowed some VCDs to watch over the weekend..but somehow Ubuntu always said something like :




I kept wondering, while other CDs burnt as ISO images could be mounted simply, but not the CDs brought over frm the VCD store..
then I read a post from Ubuntu forum that cdfs driver must be installed.
I got cdfs-src downloaded via., "Synaptic Package Manager" and compiled (which failed incidentally, and by the way not some thing new with Ubuntu :( ..But, I got the cdfs source from this website, which compiled perfectly fine....
Running this command:
sudo insmod cdfs.ko
should load the driver; "sudo lsmod | grep cdfs" should tell u if the driver has been loaded...Now you shud be able to use ur VCDs to watch all the movies u want!
A catch here is the entry in the entry in /etc/fstab file:
Default entry was :
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

But, to load the VCDs automatically, I had to change it to:

/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,cdfs user,noauto 0 0

Now, disks burnt as ISOs do not automatically load :(; I'm looking for a way to automtically detect the FS and use the appropriate mount command..You r welcome to help me out!

Watch out for some exiciting Ubuntu tips and tricks here....

2 comments:

Anunay Gupta said...

nice stuff bro!
I ve installed ubuntu on my lab machine and it simply rocks!

Looking fwd to more interesting stuff on linux in this blog :)

Ravindra Rajaram said...

Ubuntu rocks!!..Downloading 7.10 now.. more and more kewl stuff coming along...