Friday, October 16, 2009

Ubuntu and Mobile Broadband

I have purchased a Nokia E63 a couple of months back and I like the phone...for all its features and the best part - it gets me connected when ever and where ever I (well, where ever my service provider has a tower ;) )want!
Couple of reasons why I bought this phone
1. WLAN
2. Connect to PC and work as Modem
3. QWERTY Keyboard

I have not until today used the 'Modem' feature yet. But, in a couple of days, I'm planning to visit a remote place where I'm not expecting any internet connection (but a full mobile service!). So, wanted to test that out. I googled and went through a couple of blogs that discussed about wvdialconf & wvdial, but did not work for me. Then one of the posts in the Ubuntu forums (can't find the link :( ) caught my eye.
Here are the steps
1. Right click on the Network Manager applet and click 'Edit Connections'
2. Click on the Mobile broadband tab
3. Add a new connection and follow through the two dialogs

and valla, it works! it works out of the box! Is Linux easy to use or what?

oh and, me and friend of mine..got the USB sound device working with some tweaking..more on that in the next post!
As you can see on the right, only a few days left for the next big release..eagerly waiting!

No comments: