Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Upgrade to Lucid 10.04 Beta

I've, a couple of days ago upgraded to Lucid Lynx (10.04) BETA 1. I only can afford one PC and it turned out that wasn't the best idea to update to BETA 1 where I need my PC working all the time.
However , it wasn't long before I could get it to a working state, albeit, some goodies missing.
One thing that took my time ,(but no solution yet :( ) , is the missing proprietary ATI Radeon VGA drivers. Apparently , AMD hasn't released the ATI drivers suitable for Xorg 7.5 (?) and I'm still running with out any graphical goodies enabled.
Compiz still does not work and Plymouth crashes from time time and gdesklets fails to launch! ;).
These issues aside, the new version boots up quite fast, works slick, the new icons in Empathy are really appealing. I still need to explore the 'Application Indicators' technology.
One thing that stumped me was the automatic switch from Sun (well, now Oracle) java SDK to Open JDK. The good thing although is, I did not notice any difference when using Ecliopse, but I'd prefer to use the Sun JDK.
So, a quick way to change it back:

sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-6-sun

I hope the ATI drivers are out soon and gdesklets gets fixed soon so that I can use my custom developed applets!

No comments: