Monday, March 2, 2009

Meet my new friend - K3B.... Ripping Video CD

I promised to write about Plone and other things, but this one cannot wait.
I have a couple of VCDs but I'd never watch them out of the CD drive....ever....
Earlier, I used to load the CDFS driver(check my post here) and then mount the VCD with the CDFS as the mount option for the file system.
However, one problem (that I did not realize earlier) is that the CDFS driver needed to re-compiled every time the kernel was upgraded (I update my system with all the patches Ubuntu shows me :D ). This worked for a while, but when I tried to re-compile the CDFS, even the latest version cribbed :( and I was again out on the web road looking for a solution.
I read some where on the Ubuntu forums that VLC could play the VCDs (without mouting with CDFS) out of the drive and that worked, but I did not want to that do that. Then again Ubuntu forums was there to the rescue and found information about the K3B - A CD burning tool optimized to run with KDE.

sudo apt-get install K3B


However, to be able to rip video CDs, you'll also need another package "vcdimager"

sudo apt-get install vcdimager

Now, the option that I loved the most "Rip Video CD" and this worked out of the box and this is my new friend :D

I'd love to know how this ripping thing works with out actually mounting with the right file system!

No comments: