Saturday, January 31, 2009

OpenOffice.org spell check does not work!

When installing Ubuntu, I choose the default language to be "English (India)" and apparently OpenOffice.org does not have a dictionary for "English (India)" and as a result the Spell check does not detect any errors!
Weird isn't it? How different is English (India) from English (USA) or English (UK) (apart from Slangs, of course). I wish if possible, I could create a dictionary myself..Need to find out how to do that...
However, a simple solution to this problem, is to make OpenOffice.org Writer to use English (USA) or English (UK); I choose English (USA) (no particular reason to do so).

Open the OpenOffice.org Writer, Tools -> Options -> Language Settings -> Languages .
The right pane should show:
Default languages for documents -> Western

Choose "English (USA)" and you should see a small "ABC tick mark" beside the option. Click "Ok" and now you should be able to do "Spell Check" the document. :)

2 comments:

The Idli Monster said...

Thanks for the tip. I had the same problem. :)

Meg said...

I've been trying to fix this for ages. I had no idea it would be so simple in the end. Thank you!